Saturday, December 17, 2011

MMA posters from Japan: Fedor fight card competes with UFC Japan

MMA posters from Japan: Fedor fight card competes with UFC Japan

MMA posters from Japan: Fedor fight card competes with UFC Japan

In 2011, is proper anymore to ask which card you're more excited to see?

Is it only hardcore UFC haters who'll say DREAM's 2011 card is better than UFC 144?

Above are the competing posters. Below is DREAM's attempt at getting people fired up for its card headlined by the Fedor Emelianenko fight against Satoshi Ishii.

Personally, I'm stoked to see the fight. What does Fedor have left and is Ishii ready to compete against the top level of MMA just six fights into his MMA career?

Tip via Bloody Elbow

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/MMA-posters-from-Japan-Fedor-fight-card-compete?urn=mma-wp10820

tyson chandler duggar miscarriage dan gilbert david stern david stern julian beever appeasement

BP settles with maker of failed blowout preventer (AP)

NEW ORLEANS ? Cameron International, maker of the Deepwater Horizon blowout preventer that failed to stop last year's massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, has agreed to pay $250 million to BP under a legal settlement, BP said Friday.

BP said it was "in their mutual best interests, and the agreement is not an admission of liability by either party." The companies are dropping all claims against one another, they said.

The settlement comes in advance of a federal trial over the catastrophic Gulf oil spill. The non-jury trial is slated to begin in February and determine fault in the April 20, 2010, explosion and subsequent oil spill off the Louisiana coast of more than 200 million gallons of oil.

Oil and gas analysts said they saw Friday's settlement as setting the stage for more out-of-court agreements. At this point, Halliburton Corp., which supplied the cement to seal the blown-out well, and Transocean Ltd., the drilling company, have not settled with BP. The federal government, individual Gulf states and many other plaintiffs also have not settled.

For the companies involved, and government entities, "it's better to make peace than make war," said Fadel Gheit, managing director of Oppenheimer & Co., a Wall Street investment bank. He studies the oil and gas markets and follows BP closely.

He said he would expect all the parties ? including the federal government ? to seek to settle the Deepwater Horizon case before it goes to trial. He called court "the last resort."

"The strategy right now is settle, settle, settle," he said. "I would say that once the companies settle, the government will be under increasing pressure to settle."

Phil Weiss, a senior oil and gas analyst with the Argus Research Co. in New York, agreed and said he expected more settlement announcements. "I think it's in the interest of all these parties to settle."

For now, the settlement with Cameron does not end the legal fighting over the blowout of the Macondo well, which was owned by London-based BP and two partners, MOEX and Anadarko. BP has already settled claims with those two companies and a third company, Weatherford, the maker of a part used in the well.

"Today's settlement allows BP and Cameron to put our legal issues behind us and move forward to improve safety in the drilling industry," said Bob Dudley, BP group chief executive. "Unfortunately, other companies persist in refusing to accept responsibility for their roles in the accident and for contributing to restoration efforts," Dudley said in a swipe at Halliburton and Transocean.

The blowout preventer is the last line of defense in an oil well and is supposed to shear the well and cap it. But the device placed over the Macondo well failed to work properly and choke off the out-of-control spill. Government investigators have charged that the device had a design flaw and was not maintained properly. A bent pipe also prevented it from working, investigators found.

After the spill, the large contraption was lifted from the sea floor of the Gulf and transported to a NASA facility in New Orleans where engineers pored over it and conducted tests to determine what went wrong with it.

Probes of the Deepwater Horizon explosion by the federal government and independent scientists and engineers have found all three companies were at fault for a series of decisions and actions that led to the Macondo well blowout, the nation's largest offshore oil spill.

BP is engaged in an intense legal fight with Halliburton and Transocean. Earlier this month, BP went so far as to accuse Halliburton employees of covering up damaging evidence about a cement mixture Halliburton used in drilling the well.

BP said it would use the $250 million from Cameron to pay for the cost of cleaning up from the spill and paying individual damage claims by people, businesses and government entities hurt by the spill. BP said it has spent about $7.5 billion so far of those claims. But the British company faces billions of dollars in additional damages and fines.

Under the agreement, BP said Houston-based Cameron is no longer responsible for any additional cleanup costs related to the spill. But BP said the agreement does not cover civil, criminal and administrative fines and other penalties that might arise out of the court proceedings.

Jack Moore, chairman and CEO Cameron, said the agreement with BP "removes uncertainty facing Cameron" as litigation intensifies over the Deepwater Horizon explosion.

"This eliminates all significant exposure to historical and future claims related to this incident," Moore said.

Moore said Cameron does not expect to have to pay much for possible court fines and penalties. "We do not consider these items to represent a significant risk to Cameron," he said.

Cameron said its insurers were expected to fund at least $170 million of the $250 million payment the company agreed to make to BP.

BP and Cameron also pledged to "improve safety in the drilling industry" and do more to improve blowout preventers.

So far, BP has spent about $25 billion on the Deepwater Horizon disaster and has said it expects the final bill to be about $40 billion, Gheit said. BP has received about $5 billion from the companies it has settled with, he said.

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/mexico/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20111216/ap_on_re_us/us_gulf_oil_spill_settlement

elf on a shelf carrier iq carrier iq linda perry world aids day amber rose kristin cavallari

DoubleX Gabfest: The Robo-Panda Edition

In this week?s Gabfest, Slate senior editors Hanna Rosin and Jessica Grose, along with Slate contributor June Thomas, discuss ?When Baby Makes Three,? a new paper from the National Marriage Project; the depiction of childless women on both sitcoms and dramas and the strangest gifts we?ve ever received, including a Robotic panda and a Slate ... personal massager.

Source: http://feeds.slate.com/click.phdo?i=fc6d10d29eabaf20aade75d4a03caadf

bobolink bobolink breeders cup hamilton park brian wilson freedom writers lemony snicket

Friday, December 16, 2011

Analysis: More euro zone banks risk money markets freeze (Reuters)

LONDON (Reuters) ? Even the safest euro zone banks could start queuing up at the European Central Bank for cash in the next few months as their massive exposure to government debt freezes them out of money markets.

The pressure pushing banks' short-term funding costs higher could escalate quickly if the value of their sovereign debt holdings, which have already fallen sharply, take another hit when euro zone governments begin the tough task of refinancing huge amounts of borrowing early next year.

With no solution to the euro zone debt crisis in sight, interbank market players say they are reducing credit lines to an ever increasing number of banks.

"It is utter madness ... When we see big names paying 300 basis points over overnight rates for dollars you know something is wrong," said the head of money markets at a bank in London, who asked not to be named.

"Credit lines have already been reduced, we are seeing the big names paying through the nose for cash from corporates as wholesale is pretty much dead. The focus now is for the core banks to raise cash through the retail/corporate space. Central banks may be called upon."

Most banks based in the euro zone's most indebted states are effectively shut out of the money markets and banks in France -- seen as the weakest of the bloc's triple-A-rated core sovereigns -- are already being forced out one by one, traders said. Stress is also exacerbated by end-year liquidity needs.

French banks' borrowing from the ECB topped 100 billion euros in the maintenance period ending November 8, compared to 87 billion euros the month before. French banks are more exposed than any those of any other euro zone country to Italian, Spanish and Greek debt, with holdings in excess of 600 billion euros, according to Bank for International Settlements data.

Nikolaos Panigirtzoglou, European head of global asset allocation and alternative investments at JPMorgan, expects a pickup in Austrian banks' take-up of ECB cash in the coming months if no solution to the crisis is found.

He said funding strains for banks could seep deeper into the core as bond redemptions and interest payments in Italy, which has to pay some 100 billion euros between January and April, draw nearer.

"For now in the expanded periphery we have Belgium and France, but it could go further," Panigirtzoglou said.

Citing "increased challenges" in financial markets, Fitch Ratings downgraded Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank and five other large banks based in Europe on Thursday.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Euro 2012 supply and redemption schedules http://r.reuters.com/gev45s

Country-by-country bank exposure: http://r.reuters.com/vyj98r

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In such an environment liquidity is at a premium. Some investors are even taking money out of banks and paying to keep it in short-term German or Dutch government paper, which is trading with negative yields.

"The worst case scenario (a euro zone break-up) was pretty much ridiculous a year ago but it is now becoming more and more possible, to say the least," Juan Valencia, credit analyst at Societe Generale, said.

"People have already started to prepare for it, they are hoarding a lot of cash."

FREEZE

Of the contributors to daily Libor rates, French banks BNP Paribas, Credit Agricole and Societe Generale say they pay the most for three-month dollars, around 0.6 percent. But dollar rates have recently been on the rise for other core country banks as well.

Those costs are still sharply lower than levels close to 5 percent seen during the crunch triggered by the Lehman Brothers collapse in 2008 because the world's central banks have emergency liquidity measures in place this time.

To avoid stress levels reaching those seen three years ago, the ECB plans to pump unlimited three-year liquidity into the banking system on Wednesday.

Analysts say banks are more likely to use the money to pay their own debts rather than for the so-called carry trades, in which they would borrow at 1 percent from the ECB and buy Italian and Spanish debt yielding 6-7 percent.

That will leave the sovereign crisis unresolved and banks, although kept alive by the ECB, will still face funding strains.

"It is not a sustainable solution. What we need is the sovereign crisis to end ... If a sovereign gets shut out of the market, it is pretty much game over," said SG's Valencia.

He estimates banks face about 320 billion euros in senior and government guaranteed debt redemptions next year. By comparison, they had issued just 12 billion euros of debt in the past six months, he said.

Valencia recommends investors in credit markets avoid financial institutions. Those who cannot, because financials are part of their investment indexes, should only invest in "national champions", he said.

"You have to be extremely selective ... if you have to stay with some financials you have to stay with the best."

(Graphics by Kirsten Donovan, Vincent Flasseur and Scott Barber, editing by Nigel Stephenson)

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/eurobiz/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20111216/bs_nm/us_markets_money

2013 ford escape stop online piracy act protect ip act spear of destiny rock hill sc kate middleton pregnant national book awards

Portraits of Saturn moons captured by Cassini

ScienceDaily (Dec. 13, 2011) ? NASA's Cassini spacecraft successfully completed its closest-ever pass over Saturn's moon Dione on Dec. 12, slaloming its way through the Saturn system on its way to a close flyby of Titan. Cassini is expected to glide about 2,200 miles (3,600 kilometers) over the Titan surface on Dec. 13.

In the selection of the raw images obtained during the Cassini Dione flyby, Dione is sometimes joined by other moons. Mimas appears just beyond the dark side of Dione in one view. In another view, Epimetheus and Pandora appear together, along with Saturn's rings.

This Dione encounter was intended primarily for Cassini's composite infrared spectrometer and radio science subsystem. However, the imaging team did capture views of the distinctive, wispy fractures on the side of Dione that always trails in its orbit around Saturn. It also obtained images of a ridge called Janiculum Dorsa on the hemisphere of Dione that always leads in its orbit around Saturn. While other flybys produced more detailed views of the surface, the best resolved images from this flyby have scales ranging from about 1,100 feet (350 meters) to about 1,600 feet (500 meters) per pixel. Janiculum Dorsa will be imaged by Cassini at higher resolution in May 2012.

All of Cassini's raw images can be seen at http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/ .

The Cassini-Huygens mission is a cooperative project of NASA, the European Space Agency and the Italian Space Agency. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena manages the mission for the agency's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The Cassini orbiter and its two onboard cameras were designed, developed and assembled at JPL. The imaging operations team is based at the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colo. JPL is a division of Caltech.

For more information about the Cassini-Huygens mission, visit http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov and http://www.nasa.gov/cassini .

Recommend this story on Facebook, Twitter,
and Google +1:

Other bookmarking and sharing tools:


Story Source:

The above story is reprinted from materials provided by NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Note: Materials may be edited for content and length. For further information, please contact the source cited above.


Note: If no author is given, the source is cited instead.

Disclaimer: Views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of ScienceDaily or its staff.

Source: http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/~r/sciencedaily/~3/X8icTdiRCUw/111213164414.htm

ron white ron white alcs alcs miguel cabrera pay it forward pay it forward

Print to Most Any Printer from Your iOS Device with xPrintServer

Because of recent updates to the OS, it is possible to print from your iPhone or iPad directly without having to first transfer your document to a computer, but only to certain Airport printers.? There are apps that will let you print to other brands, and that’s fine for home use where you likely have [...]

Source: http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/12/13/print-to-most-any-printer-from-your-ios-device-with-xprintserver/

sprint chris tucker phoenix jones danielle chiesi walter payton oneiric oneiric

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

'Apprentice' champ Rich booted from flight

John Rich's latest trip sure sounds like it was caught Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace.

"Did John Rich have a great time with fans in Las Vegas? Yes. Was there an altercation? Absolutely not," the country singer's spokesman tells E! News in response to a report that the "Celebrity Apprentice" winner was kicked off a Southwest flight from Vegas to Nashville yesterday for drunkenly kickin' up a ruckus.

But we hear that Rich was indeed the passenger whom the airline assessed was "not fit for travel."

READ: John Rich and wife welcome second son

"Our crew assessed the situation and determined that the passenger was not fit for travel," read a statement from Southwest, which, as a rule, does not reveal or confirm passenger names.

"The decision was based on governing federal aviation (FAA) regulations that our crew must follow. The customer was immediately rebooked on a later Southwest flight out of Las Vegas, but chose to make alternative travel arrangements. We have processed a refund for the customer and his travel companion. Our Employees are responsible for the safety and comfort of everyone onboard a flight. If we can mitigate an uncomfortable situation prior to departure, it is our preference to do so and that is what happened in this scenario."

MORE: Not-so-friendly skies for stars

A source close to the situation tells E! News that it was indeed Rich who was boisterous with other passengers before boarding and appeared intoxicated once he was in his seat. When the flight crew asked him to leave, he left without incident.

But Rich's memories of the weekend, which included a concert Saturday at the Eastside Cannery casino, aren't showing any evidence of a hangover.

"Had fun with the folks in Vegas! What a great night!" he tweeted Monday. "Country fans are the BEST! Thx for coming out to the show, see you soon!"

GALLERY: Vegas Party Pics

? 2011 E! Entertainment Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Source: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45560959/ns/today-entertainment/

weather colorado springs weather colorado springs chaz bono tonight show tonight show tony romo unthink